Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Farm life begins!


Now, talk about a bumpy ride! And a whole 5 hours of it, with a touch of a hangover...But we made it! But it was a beautiful ride, told particularly to me by an English friend we had made who accompanied literally every man, old and young, who would get out to pee while looking off into the mountain vista when the bus stopped on the country road. We stopped at a place with amazing San Cocho soup, so Sarah and I added some of our amazing Hass avocado to that and had a sweet little lunch. Finally we arrived, but hardly…because I was already angry with the bus company for blowing us off and lying about when the bus left, and ignoring me as I spoke to them in clear Spanish when I would ask them why they told us it would leave at 10 if it wasn´t until 10:30. The bus dropped us off where a taxi stood near a sign that said San Agustin was still 5 kilometers away. I wasn´t about to pay extra for not being taken all the way to where I paid to go, but it turns out the taxi was paid for by the bus company because of an agreement they have with the tourist agency, which still ticked me off because the driver and his accomplice were trying to direct us where to stay and which hostal and la di da di da. I had the directions of how to arrive to the farm, and we would take a jeep car from the plaza and the driver would know where the farm was, so their continuous questions of the owner and where the farm was were pushing my buttons. And again, when we were dropped off at their tourist office, men were there awaiting to try and trick me into paying some $13 dollars for a taxi because it wasn’t a market day and there were no jeeps going to where I was going. Nonetheless, we arrived to the plaza where the jeeps are, and we had an hour to spare until it headed out…Oh the scams of tourism…We went to the small main plaza of San Agustin, where out of some 100 people, about 95 were eating ice cream…Sarah and I were perfectly fine with this habit so we joined the club and killed some time. Finally we got on the very bumpy ride with some 12 other locals. They all knew exactly where we were going, because the only foreigners that ever get on the jeeps are going out to the farm of the Ome´s. We arrived and were happily greeted by Edimer´s sister, Jueli, with a dinner of soup, rice and eggs. Oh, plus her five energy filled children and their father Don Igieno! What a house! But, I got a big sweet hug within twenty minutes of knowing Laura Camilla, the six year old girl. The next day, Sarah and I woke to the rain, and what more could we do but watch a movie? Edimer put on a pretty entertaining yet bizarre movie called Perfume, which he thought I´d be fascinated by because it had to do with the distillation of plants to make essential oils, however the movie is about a serial killer that is trying to capture the essence of the most beautiful women of an old French town…yea, pretty strange, but interesting! After that, we went walking about picking oranges, avocados, blackberries, and the local fruits of guayaba and caimo off the trees :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment